TMZ is looking to hire a Reporter to join our Sports Department. The ideal candidate is someone who communicates well with others and adapts in a fast paced news environment. The candidate must be proactive, hardworking, and conduct themselves in a way that will uphold the quality and integrity of the brand, as well as willing to be proactive and aggressively pursue the stories we cover.
In addition, the candidate must be able to research, identify and pitch news stories that fit within our brand. This position requires someone who is smart, intuitive and passionate about investigative reporting and breaking news within sports, entertainment and pop culture. The ability to forge solid relationships and react quickly in a high-pressure, deadline-driven environment is essential for success in this role. The candidate is required to develop a working knowledge of the legal process and an interest in sports, celebrities and pop culture.
- Ability to navigate through sports, entertainment news, analyze content, and recognize big stories
- Ability to develop contacts in breaking news stories, and maintain relationships to aid in the news-gathering process.
- Gather and organize legal documents and maintain case files
- Work as a liaison between our news desk and Court Producers
- Keeping a finger on the pulse of trending news, both locally and nationally
- Provide original news angles and manage processes to follow those stories as they progress
- 2-3 years of experience working in a newsroom environment
- Professional skills required to develop sources, pursue stories, and break news
- Basic knowledge of court proceedings, criminal and civil, and ability to navigate through local court processes to obtain documents and information
- Ability to enterprise news stories
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Strong writing skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Interest in and knowledge of celebrities, pop culture, and sports